About NAMI San Antonio
We are all touched by mental illness. We join together — no matter where you live, what language you speak, whether you are family members, friends, peers or caregivers — to share our experiences with mental illness.
NAMI San Antonio is dedicated to improving the quality of life for all people affected by mental illness.
We form a community that welcomes all
We learn together, share information, understandings and experiences
We advocate together
We provide NAMI education and support programs in San Antonio and surrounding areas
We depend on volunteers
• Hope - We believe in the possibility of recovery, wellness and the potential in all of us;
• Inclusion – We embrace diverse backgrounds, cultures and perspectives;
• Empowerment – We promote confidence, self-efficacy and service to our mission;
• Compassion – We practice respect, kindness and empathy; and
• Fairness – We fight for equity and justice.
Mental illnesses are brain disorders that are biologically based medical problems. Untreated, they can cause severe disturbances in thinking, feeling and relating. This results in substantially diminished capacity for dealing with the ordinary demands of life. Mental illness can affect persons of any age and occur in any family. They are not caused by bad parenting and not evidence of weakness of character.
Advocate at the county, state and national levels for non-discriminatory access to quality healthcare, housing, education and employment for people with mental illness.
Educate the public about mental illness.
Work to eliminate the stigma of mental illness.
Advocate for increased funding for research into the causes and treatment of mental illness.